Introduction to Musicianship II
Instructors – Dr. Nicholas Reeves, Professor of Music, Adelphi University
The skills in Level II build upon those learned in Level I:
- Rhythm and Meter: Sixteenth notes, eighth notes, quarters, dotted quarters, halves, dotted halves, whole notes, cut vs. common time, the absence of bar lines, the syncopation, and 3/4 time.
- Major Melody and Triads, Including Dominant Sevenths, in C, F, G, B-flat and D (treble or bass clef)
- Minor Melody and Triads, Including Dominant Sevenths, in A, D, E, G and B Minor (natural, harmonic, and melodic minor; treble or bass clef)
- Singing Intervals (m2, M2, m3, M3, P4, TT, P5, m6, M6, m7, M7, P8)
Additionally, students learn the Apolyitikia (Troparia) tones in Kievan chant arrangements. In our course, specifically designed for immediate application in Orthodox sacred choral music, all examples and weekly assignments are drawn from selections from the common English repertoire. At the end of the course students have the opportunity to take the PaTRAM Level II Certification exam in Musicianship. Course length is 12 weeks.
12 Weeks – $500 (Ages 19 & over), $300 (Ages 12-18)
If you would like to test out of this class, please indicate this by selecting this option at the bottom of this page. A PaTRAM representative will contact you to schedule your assessment screening.
- Computer with high-speed internet connection
- Computer Microphone
- Web Browser
- Printer (recommended)
All class materials will be provided.
Homework takes one hour per week on average. Students have weekly homework assignments in the following skills:
- Written: score analysis, dictation;
- Oral: sight reading, intervals, scales
Students are expected to demonstrate their mastery during each of the lessons.